Monday, March 9, 2020

Ramanujan Rocks!

You know me, I'm back to harping on some abstract stuff, wanting to make aesthetics matter.  Today I was talking about Ramanujan saying, in response to a Medium story:
Good one, got me thinking of the ballads, plays, sagas and epics that have mathematics in them. I favor bringing in some Ramanujan because now we have arbitrary precision software available (beyond calculators), so why not check out some of his wild convergences to thousands of places?
There's a lot of history (storytelling) behind just how far we can push our algorithms, to how many digits of accuracy. From Al Khwarizmi to Wolfram. 
We may not have proved why a given convergence works (some of Ramanujan's were famously opaque to proof) yet we're free to test them in empirical reality... 
https://archive.org/details/Ramanujan (actual ballad about the guy)
You probably know what I'm thinking of right?